Skip to main content

Missing Deadlines

Life - not only is it the final frontier, but sometimes it is also a whirlwind. These days, I feel an awful lot like Toto in the Wizard of Oz. It is like I've been shoved in a basket and taken through the tornado to a land that looks like nothing I have ever seen before.

My husband and I made the difficult decision to close down our retail store and move the whole business back home. That has translated into weeks (or months?) of sorting, selling, packing and storing everything that the business has owned. Right now, there is a mountain of inventory, paperclips, toddler-work-toys and extension cords rising up from the floor of my living room. I have rehomed a fraction of the mountain in the last two weeks, and I hope that eventually I will muster up the courage and energy I need to tackle the rest of it.

Add to that weeks upon weeks of birthdays, holidays, the start of summer... and writing has gotten pushed far down the list of priorities. Not that I'd be able to write if I had the time anyway - I am having trouble focusing as my mind bounces between tasks. I do have an idea brewing for the next few scenes of Adaline 2.0, but I'm not sure when my fingers will co-operate to put them on paper.

One thing I have been able to keep up on though is reading. It has been a GLORIOUS escape from reality and insomnia, and I am happy to say that I am ahead of schedule on my 2015 reading goals. Heck, I even took an afternoon drive to renew my library card. After nearly four years of inactivity, the librarian was surprised that the system took it without having to fill out new forms!

I think this week the toddler and I are going to sign up for the library's summer reading program, and we'll see how much more of this reading challenge list I can get filled up.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make Them Pay: A Thriller Anthology

OHMYGOSH you guys. A couple weeks ago I had the absolute pleasure of reading all twenty-two stories in Make Them Pay: A Thriller Anthology   and I couldn't put it down. I'm a fairly slow reader compared to many of my author friends, but I finished this nearly six hundred page behemoth in just four days. Granted, one of the stories is one I wrote ( Innocence Lost by D.K. Greene), but I devoured the other stories, too. Make Them Pay is a mixture of thrillers from authors who write military, vigilante justice, science thrillers, kidnappings, murder, hit men, and more. The stories are varied and fast paced, and you may just end up filling your TBR with a host of new authors you enjoy. At the time of this writing, the anthology is free with a  Kindle Unlimited  subscription (it's just a few bucks otherwise), and is also available in a handsome print edition. One of the really wonderful things surrounding this anthology is Michelle PW's author spotlight  series. She has inte

Getting Ready...

... for my very first author appearance in November. It's exciting! It's nerve wracking! It's a great opportunity! It's terrifying! It's going to be a great way to kick off the holiday season! I've got some books on order so there will be copies of both Age/Sex/Location: Love is Just a Click Away and A Giraffe In The Room available for sale. This is my first step into taking my writing on the road - maybe 2014 will include a book tour if this goes well...?

Restless with The Silver Chair

My kiddo and I have been wandering through the pages of C. S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia over the last year or so, and finally arrived at the sixth book, The Silver Chair. It goes without saying that C. S. Lewis is one the most entrancing authors in children's literature, and he didn't fail to disappoint with The Silver Chair . This book takes Eustace and his schoolmate Jill on a terrific adventure through marshes, mountains, and caverns as they go on a hunt for a prince who went missing many years before. While this is a wonderful book on its own, it wasn't my favorite of the Narnia  series. The characters didn't seem as alive as in the other books, and with man-eating giants, a magical snake-queen and the freeing of an entire nation of underground people, their flatness was a disappointment. We aren't deterred though. We've started The Last Batle, the final book in the series and it's going along much better. Although this is a serie