Skip to main content

Books for Authors: Mastering Amazon Ads, An Author's Guide by Brian D. Meeks


I've been failing as an author.

Okay, my husband would say I'm being melodramatic, and he's right. At the time of this writing, my biopunk novel, Adaline, has been downloaded 8,500 times in just over 20 weeks. That's not failing.

BUT, I have been struggling with my advertising spend. In late 2018, I figured out how to buy space on people's mailing lists and websites, which is how I got most of those 8,500 downloads. But I've had the worst luck in creating profitable ads on Amazon and Facebook.

After working my butt off to do so/so with Facebook ads, (and seeking help from the book Help! My Facebook Ads Suck by Michael Cooper), I decided to tackle AMS ad services. For months, I was running a couple of ads here, a couple of ads there, and not getting any kind of positive results. My best ad was running at a -70% return. Not good.

I turned to the advice of my fellow authors on Reddit, Facebook and Kboards, and kept seeing Brian D. Meeks' book, Mastering Amazon Ads, An Author's Guide, pop up as a recommendation. I figured I didn't have anything to lose, and bought a copy. (I got the paperback because I have a hard time getting Post-It notes to stick to e-book pages.)

I can honestly say, the insight the author includes in this book on how to run profitable ad campaigns was eye-opening. The first thing I learned, was that I was bidding too much for ads. Two times too much. The second thing I discovered is that Amazon's ad placement is nothing like Facebook's. It's actually hard to hit your spend budget on AMS advertising, so having one or two ads, even if they're good ones, probably won't yield you the millions of impressions and thousands of clicks that you're expecting. 

Now, as always seems to happen with me, Amazon changed their ad platform smack-dab in the middle of me reading this book, removing Product Placement Ads (although I notice that there's a beta test going on to move them to the Sponsored Product Ads page as an extra option), and adding Landing Page ads instead. I worried that maybe that was going to throw Brian's advice off.

But, my fears were quickly averted. Most of what Mastering Amazon Ads tells you to do (test, test, test) can be used on any of the ad types. And I'm happy to say that using his techniques, I ran my first profitable ad, to the tune of a positive 80% ROI.

Now, before you decide that this book is going to make you piles of money, I'll temper my boastful statement by saying that my total ad spend was only $2.17, so even with a positive return on investment, I'm not rolling in the money yet. But, I think I have an idea of how to scale the ads so six months from now I'll be in a better position financially, and in the spirit of that optimism I can say that Mastering Amazon Ads; An Author's Guide is worth reading.

You can get your copy on Amazon by clicking here.

Please note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

S.E Anderson's Celestial is here!

I am so excited to tell you guys about a series I've been reading! The Starstruck series follows a rather disorganized mess of a girl as she traipses across the multiverse with aliens. Sally gets into SO many interesting situations, and these novels are packed with snark and wit that keep you turning pages and wanting more. Celestial, Book Four in the series will be released October 9th, and I'm SO blessed to be a part of S.E. Anderson's launch team! In Celestial, Sally is still trying to get back to earth with her friends Zander, Blayde and Nim but something goes horribly wrong and they end up lost on a strange world where Sally is mistaken for the local's goddess! I can't wait to read and review this latest installment in the Starstruck series. S.E. Anderson is a young writer brimming with charm, and I know if you pick up her books you'll fall in love. Get more information on these amazing books by visiting the author's website at:  http:...

Traffic and Triumph

The spring and summer are always really hectic for our family. We own an outdoors-focused business, and unfortunately that means that when the sun is out there is hardly time to write anything. My neighbor yesterday asked how "that journaling stuff" was going, and I must have looked absolutely dumbfounded. "Journaling?" I asked. "Yeah, you know, writing in books or whatever." Long story short, it gave me instant lessons about two things. First, that my neighbor doesn't really pay attention or remember the details of any conversations that we've had over the years. And second, that I need to find the time, no matter how crazy life is, to put some focus back on my writing. My third book has been sitting, half edited, since March. It's about time that I got back at that monster, and what better way to do that then to do what all great writers do when they have a project looming... procrastinate by updating this blog. I'm glad I did log...

Don't Wait

I awoke Friday morning to a message from someone whose name was only vaguely familiar. Laying in bed, scrolling through Facebook on my cell phone, I opened the message. It was a quick note from a woman who was good friends with a woman who I have been close to for over a decade. I read it, and reeled with shock. My friend, a woman who had been with me through the best and worst of times, is gone. Taken from this life because of a driver who didn't stop at a stop sign on a country road. "Accidents happen," many say. It's true, but it isn't right. We never know when our time is going to be up. Today might be your last day, or mine. There's no way of predicting what will happen tomorrow... this evening... fifteen minutes from now. There are many tragedies stemming from this simple accident. First, a mother with fierce love of her two teenage children was stolen from them. A woman who was a pillar of support for so many has fallen from their list of who to cal...