Skip to main content

News, Death and Taxes

The last couple of weeks have been such a roller coaster. Down, and up, and sideways... I've been going all the directions. As Les Schwab says repeatedly in his autobiography, "Life is hard."

First off, the insomnia is back with a vengeance which is a combination of helpful, hurtful and a fitting tribute to friendship. On the plus side, it's been giving me a lot of quiet time to write and I am tearing through the first draft of CTRL/ALT/DEL like there's no tomorrow. The downside, of course, is that I am so exhausted in the standard waking hours and it's getting harder to "keep it together" as a result. On the note of friendship...

Once upon a time in a land far away, I was up at all hours button-mashing away at my first novel Age/Sex/Location: Love is Just a Click Away. The writing of that novel was long. There were many hours spent in silent desperation as I battled the book on a small corner desk on an original all-in-one Sony Vaio. In between paragraphs, I developed a friendship with a wonderful woman I met online in a chatroom. We chatted, we played Bejewelled until the wee hours of the morning, and we shared our love of writing despite a distance of nearly 5,000 miles and the annoyance of a 5 hour time difference.

This wonderful friend, who was overflowing with kind words and understanding, passed away last week. As is fitting of our friendship the news came through an instant messenger window before daylight. Learning of her death has been devastating for me. As the days roll on without her, I find myself lost in a sea of insomnia without her companionship to guide me. It makes me weep.

The grieving has provided some time for reflection, and I am going to take my book writing on the road. I've decided I am going to have an author table at a small holiday bazaar during the holidays. I have gone back and forth about doing an author table at Wordstock as well, but I think I'm just not ready for something of that scale.

I've also been asked to do some guest blog spots and interviews. The first interview came out last month on Graeme Brown's New Voices blog. If you haven't already read it, check it out here and make sure to follow Graeme so that you can keep up to date with what's going on with the new authors in his neck of the woods.

Lost in a sea of insomnia... but compelled to write anyway.
Photo by: Unknown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

S.E Anderson's Celestial is here!

I am so excited to tell you guys about a series I've been reading! The Starstruck series follows a rather disorganized mess of a girl as she traipses across the multiverse with aliens. Sally gets into SO many interesting situations, and these novels are packed with snark and wit that keep you turning pages and wanting more. Celestial, Book Four in the series will be released October 9th, and I'm SO blessed to be a part of S.E. Anderson's launch team! In Celestial, Sally is still trying to get back to earth with her friends Zander, Blayde and Nim but something goes horribly wrong and they end up lost on a strange world where Sally is mistaken for the local's goddess! I can't wait to read and review this latest installment in the Starstruck series. S.E. Anderson is a young writer brimming with charm, and I know if you pick up her books you'll fall in love. Get more information on these amazing books by visiting the author's website at:  http:...

Dragon Speaker by Elana A. Mugdan

  When a young outcast fights to become recognized by her town as a worthy citizen, she's sent out into the woods to prove herself. A dragon appears to her, and commands her to go on an epically dangerously magical quest. But Keriya has a problem. Not only is she young, unexperienced, and without the support of her community, but unlike every other person she knows, she can't wield magic. This is a great fantasy series with a female lead. I usually find it hard to get into dragon stories, but this one had me gripped within the first few pages. To check it out for yourself, find it on Amazon right here . As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This doesn't cost you anything extra, but does help to fund Chai lattes and book purchases.

Traffic and Triumph

The spring and summer are always really hectic for our family. We own an outdoors-focused business, and unfortunately that means that when the sun is out there is hardly time to write anything. My neighbor yesterday asked how "that journaling stuff" was going, and I must have looked absolutely dumbfounded. "Journaling?" I asked. "Yeah, you know, writing in books or whatever." Long story short, it gave me instant lessons about two things. First, that my neighbor doesn't really pay attention or remember the details of any conversations that we've had over the years. And second, that I need to find the time, no matter how crazy life is, to put some focus back on my writing. My third book has been sitting, half edited, since March. It's about time that I got back at that monster, and what better way to do that then to do what all great writers do when they have a project looming... procrastinate by updating this blog. I'm glad I did log...