Skip to main content

Where Are They Now? A tour of where Paintball used to be.

In doing some research for some writing on the Paintball industry in and around Portland, Oregon, I decided to take a field trip around the city to see what has been going on with the local Paintball businesses.  Not really knowing where to start, I picked up the latest copy of a leading Paintball magazine (The title will not be named here so as not to step on anyone's toes, but you may be able to find a copy of it yourself at your local Fred Meyer) and turned to the Field and Store directory at the back of the mag.  I also did a quick Google search for "Paintball, Portland, Oregon" and jotted down another couple of businesses names & addresses from businessfinder.oregonlive.com and infosports.com.  I grabbed my Droid, my keys, my husband (I figured between the Droid and my husband I couldn't get lost) and off I went to explore.

Unfortunately, what I found were a lot of locked doors, and buildings that had been converted for new uses (or demolished altogether).  Here are the names and addresses I researched, and what you will find if you go there.

Stop #1: Xtremez Paintball, Tualatin
Address: 7060 Southwest Nyberg Street; Tualatin, OR 97062
Phone: (503) 692-8726

While this shop is still here, and appears to still be functioning as a Paintball store, when I stopped by the doors were locked.  Merchandise was scattered all around the store, the lights were on, but no one was home.  I hung around for a few minutes, thinking maybe the person on-duty had taken a break but no one came back.  The sign stated that the store is open from 10AM to 6PM on Sunday, and I was there right about 11:30.  The good news is that their website is open 24/7.  Maybe I'll go there next time.




Stop #2: Hit N Run Paintball
Address: 8900 SW Commercial St.; Tigard, OR 97223
Phone: Disconnected.

My first disappointment for the day, Hit N Run is listed as being a full service store with an indoor field through infosports.com.  It doesn't look like Paintball has been played there in some time though since the whole building has been converted to a ballroom.  I considered signing up for some classes though, might make me more fluid and graceful on the playing field!



Stop #3: Paintball Station
Address: 11680 SW Pacific Highway; Tigard, OR 97223
Phone: Number is now a fax line for some other business.

This one gave me quite the runaround.  I could not for the life of me find a building marked "11680".  It's as if it didn't exist, or if perhaps it is a magic building like in that Harry Potter book where the house is sandwiched between two other houses and can only be revealed if you have the secret passcode or spell or something.  Maybe if I wasn't such a Muggle I would have been able to find it.  Or maybe it's being guarded by some Leprechaun at the end of a rainbow?  The day was too overcast for the rainbow to appear so I didn't know where to look.  I was all kinds of befuddled and finally gave up looking for it after taking several passes on Pacific Highway.  

At the end of the day while recounting my adventures to my Mom (of all people), she told me that she remembers the building that used to be there 10 years ago... but that it was demolished.  No bueno.




Stop #4: Paintball Station
Address: 9123 SW Barbur Blvd.; Portland, OR 97219
Phone: Disconnected.

At this point, I was feeling discouraged but decided to venture on.  I was able to find the building this time, and even took a picture of it.  The space is occupied, but is no longer a Paintball store.  No, it is now a Somali Community Services Coalition location.  Not quite what I had been expecting.  (And oh yeah, that's my reflection in the window!)


Stop #5: Fury PB
Address: 14110 SE McLoughlin Boulevard
Phone: Disconnected

This time, I was at least able to poke around for a little while.  Where Fury PB once lived, there is now an entire complex of Pawn Shop.  At least I think it is one Pawn Shop.  You can sell things on one side of the complex and buy them on the other.  The center units appear to be used as storage for either end of the Pawn process.  On the "Buy" side, there were a couple containers of paint for blow-guns and a lone Brass Eagle marker peering down from one of the shelves near the entrance.  Not Fury PB, but they had a cool drum set for sale.



Last stop: Oregon Paintball
Address: 40 NW 2nd Street; Gresham, OR
Phone: (503)666-7930

By now I was thinking that Paintball was dead and gone from the Portland area, but I decided to give this one last shop a look.  For a moment, I felt like the M&M's in that Christmas commercial where they come out into the living room and see Santa and the red one says "He does exist!" And then Santa says, "They do exist!" and then they both feint and the Yellow M&M is left standing there looking all kinds of confused.  

Oregon Paintball is alive and well.  Unfortunately for me, they close on Sundays at 3pm (They are open Monday - Saturday 11-6) and I didn't arrive until 3:40.  But peering in the windows, the shop looks fully stocked and ready for action.  I plan on heading back out to see these guys on a day when I'm not wasting time driving all across town.




And so ends my day of driving the city searching for Paintball.  It was a great adventure, and we only got lost once!


Currently Reading:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Ready...

... for my very first author appearance in November. It's exciting! It's nerve wracking! It's a great opportunity! It's terrifying! It's going to be a great way to kick off the holiday season! I've got some books on order so there will be copies of both Age/Sex/Location: Love is Just a Click Away and A Giraffe In The Room available for sale. This is my first step into taking my writing on the road - maybe 2014 will include a book tour if this goes well...?

Make Them Pay: A Thriller Anthology

OHMYGOSH you guys. A couple weeks ago I had the absolute pleasure of reading all twenty-two stories in Make Them Pay: A Thriller Anthology   and I couldn't put it down. I'm a fairly slow reader compared to many of my author friends, but I finished this nearly six hundred page behemoth in just four days. Granted, one of the stories is one I wrote ( Innocence Lost by D.K. Greene), but I devoured the other stories, too. Make Them Pay is a mixture of thrillers from authors who write military, vigilante justice, science thrillers, kidnappings, murder, hit men, and more. The stories are varied and fast paced, and you may just end up filling your TBR with a host of new authors you enjoy. At the time of this writing, the anthology is free with a  Kindle Unlimited  subscription (it's just a few bucks otherwise), and is also available in a handsome print edition. One of the really wonderful things surrounding this anthology is Michelle PW's author spotlight  series. She has inte

Restless with The Silver Chair

My kiddo and I have been wandering through the pages of C. S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia over the last year or so, and finally arrived at the sixth book, The Silver Chair. It goes without saying that C. S. Lewis is one the most entrancing authors in children's literature, and he didn't fail to disappoint with The Silver Chair . This book takes Eustace and his schoolmate Jill on a terrific adventure through marshes, mountains, and caverns as they go on a hunt for a prince who went missing many years before. While this is a wonderful book on its own, it wasn't my favorite of the Narnia  series. The characters didn't seem as alive as in the other books, and with man-eating giants, a magical snake-queen and the freeing of an entire nation of underground people, their flatness was a disappointment. We aren't deterred though. We've started The Last Batle, the final book in the series and it's going along much better. Although this is a serie