Skip to main content

Fluidity

I find myself re-canalizing (again) just what it is that I want from the world of writing.  It seems like every time I turn around I have discovered that such-and-such venture is not as personally rewarding as I thought it would be, or that I've begun pigeonholing myself in projects that are making it difficult for me to move towards my dreams as a whole.  My desires to write are like a river - except instead of finding the smoothest path towards the ocean and letting gravity do the rest I seem to continue finding myself trying to flow uphill and over mountain ranges.

I'm stubborn that way.

My current thought on the subject of writing can be summed up by answering a couple of questions that have been floating around my brain the last few days:

1)What do you want to BE when you "grow up" as a writer?

Just a year ago, I thought being published by a well-known company like Yahoo! would be enough to call myself a writer.  And in some sense, it has.  I can honestly say that I have been paid to write, and even go so far as to add that I have been paid consistently to write over the last year.  But, as I have accomplished the ability and forum in which to start life as a paid freelance writer I have discovered something which I've mentioned (and back-burnered) all along: I want to publish novels.

2) Do you want to be a famous author, recognized the world over for your literary prowess?


I go back and forth on this one because fame is a fickle b!tch.  If I'm being honest with myself, the true answer to this question is "no".  I don't want to be famous, at least not in this lifetime.  If people decide my work is genius after I have passed, then I don't mind having a legacy of work to leave behind.  But all I really want is to be read enough to have folks show up for book signings at the local book store.  I don't want the place to be packed - just enough readers to keep me busy during my allotted time to sign autographs and shake hands.

3) Do you want to earn a fortune from your writing?


This is another question that requires a delicate answer.  No, I'm not looking to amass the fortune of J.K.Rowling (although if such good-luck should fall into my lap I certainly would figure out something to do with it).  All I am looking for is to be read enough to make a mortgage payment and buy a few groceries.  Maybe treat my husband to a vacation in an exotic place like North Dakota.

All of the thought that has been flitting between my ears during these last few days of reflection (which conveniently showed up with a chest cold / flu virus) has started me thinking that maybe I've been chasing waterfalls the wrong direction.  Not to say that I haven't enjoyed arranging words about donating plasma and things to do during bachelorette parties, because I will probably go back to that when the odd topic of interest arises.  But perhaps it's time to buckle down and do something about this book business.

Whether you're a writer or you are following some other passion in your life, how would you answer the questions above?  Feel free to share your answers in the comments below.  :)

Currently Reading:
The Program

Comments

  1. 1) It took me a long time to be able to say "I'm an author" and not feel embarrassed to say so. It felt so nouveau to say this after my first book, and after my second and third. I finally started saying it a lot after about half a dozen books. At this point, with my books and translations spilling into a second shelf, I can say "I'm an author" with anyone I like. But I had to grow into it.

    2) I wouldn't mind a smidgen more fame than I've got now, but I am also reminded of this story about "being rich and famous:" http://hedtke.blogspot.com/2009/03/bill-murray-and-being-rich-and-famous.html

    3) You're goddamn right I do. It's why I'm in this business. Well, I do like it for other reasons, but I can do lots and lots of things that don't pay beans. I want to and expect to make money doing this; the more the better. Dr. Johnson had a perfect quote, which I recorded here: http://hedtke.blogspot.com/2009/09/happy-birthday-dr-johnson.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

S.E Anderson's Celestial is here!

I am so excited to tell you guys about a series I've been reading! The Starstruck series follows a rather disorganized mess of a girl as she traipses across the multiverse with aliens. Sally gets into SO many interesting situations, and these novels are packed with snark and wit that keep you turning pages and wanting more. Celestial, Book Four in the series will be released October 9th, and I'm SO blessed to be a part of S.E. Anderson's launch team! In Celestial, Sally is still trying to get back to earth with her friends Zander, Blayde and Nim but something goes horribly wrong and they end up lost on a strange world where Sally is mistaken for the local's goddess! I can't wait to read and review this latest installment in the Starstruck series. S.E. Anderson is a young writer brimming with charm, and I know if you pick up her books you'll fall in love. Get more information on these amazing books by visiting the author's website at:  http:...

Traffic and Triumph

The spring and summer are always really hectic for our family. We own an outdoors-focused business, and unfortunately that means that when the sun is out there is hardly time to write anything. My neighbor yesterday asked how "that journaling stuff" was going, and I must have looked absolutely dumbfounded. "Journaling?" I asked. "Yeah, you know, writing in books or whatever." Long story short, it gave me instant lessons about two things. First, that my neighbor doesn't really pay attention or remember the details of any conversations that we've had over the years. And second, that I need to find the time, no matter how crazy life is, to put some focus back on my writing. My third book has been sitting, half edited, since March. It's about time that I got back at that monster, and what better way to do that then to do what all great writers do when they have a project looming... procrastinate by updating this blog. I'm glad I did log...

Books, Babies and More!

Life in the Kawaii household has been a maddening whirlwind of changes, events, growth and expansion. Age/Sex/Location is now deep within the publishing process, and I am very excited that Brighton Publishing is handling the grunt work in making the novel ready for the commercial market.  Right now it is being combed over by an editor or two, and I look forward to getting recommended edits back in the next few weeks. Along with the new novel in my life, it appears that there is a new reader on the way too!  Mr. Kawaii and I are expecting our first little reader, and he/she should arrive sometime mid-May.  Trying to figure out pregnancy, what kind of parents we want to be, and how we are going to juggle kids and managing our own businesses adds a new set of weights to an already delicate balancing act.  Hopefully we'll figure things out and come out the other side no worse for wear. I hope that all of you are doing well in your own lives and that you are growi...